The Church of St. John the Evangelist started life in 1891 as a mission of St. Mark's Anglican Church in rented rooms on the Locke and Pine. The cornerstone of this present building was laid in September 1891 it was open for worship the following February 21.
The worship was formal and “high church,” but the building itself was rather sparsely outfitted. The church building had a plain brick interior with the ceiling of the chancel painted blue. The nave was furnished with chairs and with thin pads for kneelers. A pipe organ was installed and used for the first time in 1896.
Ten years later the former Hannah Street Public School was purchased and became the parish hall. After the 1914-18 war pews were installed and the church was roofed with slate. A new pipe organ was installed in a beautifully carved wooden casing in 1927 as a parish memorial to the men of St. John the Evangelist who died overseas during the First World War. The chancel ceiling was also redecorated.
To read the rest of this summary of the history of the church, as well as links to the scanned copies of the history booklet written in 1990, please open the downloaded links below.
The office remains closed due the the coronavirus pandemic and is opened only by appointment.
Preregistration is no longer required to attend worship services. Masking is no longer required, but is recommended.
We acknowledge with gratitude and respect that our parish is located on the traditional territory of the Haudenosaunee and Anishinaabe peoples. We are located in the Lower Chedoke Watershed.