Outreach is . . . sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ by caring for those in Hamilton and in other parts of the globe. It is the church at work in God's name stretching out to meet needs in the wider community
St. Matthew's House: The third Sunday of every month is designated for St. Matthew's House Food Bank. We are encouraged to bring non perishable food items to church. Please place them in the designated basket at the top of the stairs.
Our Outreach Partners
HOOTC responds to the needs of the most abandoned of our city's poor and homeless people - basic physical needs of hot food, warm clothing and the deeply human needs of compassion, dignity and feelings of self worth. Some of us volunteer at the Hamilton Out of the Cold (HOOTC) program held in churches, from November to March - or we bring new underwear!
The HSCG serves the Southwest Hamilton community by organizing & providing a shared community garden and allotment space where people of diverse backgrounds can meet and nurture friendships. Workshops are held, sometimes in the St. John’s kitchen. The HSCG also provides opportunities for people to grow food for local food banks, soup kitchens, or other neighbours in need. St John’s can assist their work by responding to requests as they are made apparent.
HAS is a “Beacon of Hope” for the people of the Artibonite Valley located in central Haiti. Through a Hamilton group called “Canadian Friends of HAS” we support Maternal and Child Care programs. Support Child and Maternal Health Care at Hôpital Albert Schweitzer in Haiti.
Micah House demonstrates God's love to newly-arrived refugees in Hamilton, provides short-term accommodations and helps them start again in Canada.
Primates World Relief Development Fund www.pwrdf.org
The Anglican Church of Canada's agency for sustainable development, relief, refugees, and global justice. We buy PWRDF Christmas Cards to support Anglican World Relief.
Set in the inner city, St. Matthew's House gives hope, helps improve the lives, and builds the capacities of those most in need. We give food to the St. Matthew’s House (SMH) food bank on Barton Street—needed all year.
Contact the Outreach Committee
To learn more about our partners please contact the church office or use the contact form to reach a member of the committee or one of the mission representatives.
- Judith Purdell-Lewis - Chair
- Sue Newbery - Secretary and website
- Debbie Rudderham
- Hamilton Out of the Cold - Margaret Firth
- Hill Street Community Garden - Allan Judson
- Hôpital Albert Schweitzer - Hal & Adrienne Devins
- Micah House - Erzebet Almassy & Al Duncan
- Primates World Relief Development Fund - Leigh Macklin
- St Matthew’s House - Tamara Watson
Outreach Ministry Action
Members of the committee and Reps encourage involvement of St John‘s members by promoting each Supported Outreach Program at certain times during the year by:
- featuring them on the Outreach Ministry board, in The Parish News, the church bulletin and the church newsletter – Wings
- including in the Prayers of the People
- discussing them during Announcements at Sunday services
- encouraging the collection of in designated baskets in the lobby, which are then taken to the designated Project by the Rep.
Affiliate Outreach Partners will be advertised on the St John’s bulletin boards.